Skip to content

Universities / Training

Most prospective agricultural valuers will have had an initial college training with a land management degree before moving to work in the profession. A variety of options at the different institutions offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses, some blending study and practical work. Postgraduate courses are typically taken by those who have already graduated in another subject or have substantial practical work experience, as for a second career.

In England, degree courses are offered at:

In Scotland:

More widely members have come from the University College of Estate Management or Cambridge’s Land Economy course, from agricultural courses such as those at Newcastle and Aberystwyth as well as other backgrounds.

The majority of members will have been at either Harper Adams University or the Royal Agricultural University (RAU), offering both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Harper Adams offers:

  • a four year undergraduate course including a work placement year in the third year
  • a five year degree apprenticeship course combining work and study.
  • a full time postgraduate course
  • a part-time postgraduate course, usually combined with work
  • se a postgraduate degree apprentice course

The Royal Agricultural university offers

  • a three year undergraduate degree
  • a four year undergraduate degree with a placement year
  • a postgraduate one year course
  • a parttime postgraduate course

Reading University’s Henley Business School offers rural modules within its Real Estate undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Plumpton College offers a two year accelerated undergraduate degree course, blending study with practical work.

Aberdeen University offers a masters course with a part time option that can be combined with professional work.

Scottish Rural Universities College (SRUC) offer an undergraduate degrees

Members of staff in each institution liaise with the CAAV. One would normally be the person who would assist with membership and other matters. They are listed in the college sections below.

Other members enter the profession with other qualifications or experience.