Skip to content

Universities / Training

Most prospective agricultural valuers will have had an initial college training before moving to work in the profession.

The majority will have been at Harper Adams University or the Royal Agricultural University (RAU). In Scotland, Aberdeen University and Scottish Rural Universities College (SRUC) offer courses. Others will have come through Henley Business School at the University of Reading, the University College of Estate Management or Cambridge’s Land Economy course or from agricultural courses such as those at Newcastle and Aberystwyth.

Harper Adams, the RAU and Reading each offer both undergraduate and postgraduate courses that typically lead to work in the profession and also serve as the academic part of RICS qualification.

Undergraduate courses at the RAU and Reading are for three years while Harper Adams offers a four year sandwich course with the third year spent on a work placement, gaining practical experience to support the work done in college.

All three offer one year postgraduate (Masters) courses while Harper Adams offers a part-time postgraduate course that can be combined with professional work. These are taken by those who have already graduated in another subject or have substantial practical work experience. Harper Adams also offers a degree apprenticeship course as the study component for those employed as apprentices, reaching qualification after five years.

A member of staff in each of Harper Adams, the RAU, Reading, Aberdeen and SRUC liaises with the CAAV and would normally be the person who would assist with membership and other matters. They are listed in the college sections below.

Other members enter the profession with other qualifications or experience.