Ardent - Birmingham or London - Surveyor
Location: Birmingham or London (we offer a flexible Hybrid working supported by a Smart Working Policy)
Full Time or Part Time: Full Time & Permanent
Ardent is the UK's leading Development Consent Order (DCO) and Transport and Works Order (TWAO) team for consent management, land assembly and compulsory purchase projects. We are Project Managers, Chartered Surveyors and Land Referencers, based in London, Cheshire, Leeds and Birmingham supporting projects throughout the UK. Established in 1992 to provide a 'one stop shop’ for land and property matters for major infrastructure projects, our client portfolio stretches across the UK, covering high-profile transport, energy, housing and regeneration projects. We are the leading land advisor for DCOs having supported over 60 DCO projects to date. Ardent offers comprehensive land and property support throughout the lifecycle of a project, supporting projects from scheme feasibility, throughout promotion, examination and construction and in to operation. Delivering projects on programme and budget is at the centre of our approach, together with providing clients with a flexible and responsive service, and applying our wide-ranging experience to ensure project success. Our services include:
- DCO/TWAO/Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) project management
- Consultation and objection management
- Acquisitions and land assembly
- Scheme development and optioneering
- Valuation and compensation
- Land referencing, plan production and notice serving
- Survey access
- Property acquisition strategy
- Data management and Atlas database
- Expert witness and Lands Chamber referrals
Directorate Overview: (Compensation)
Ardent provides an informed compensation service for promoters of major projects. We advise clients on all aspects of compensation costs and risks to inform scheme options, compensation budgets and the negotiation and settlement of compensation claims.
Our services include reaching agreements with affected parties prior to the use of powers to satisfy Government guidance on the use of compulsory purchase, as well as the settlement of claims once powers have been confirmed. Ardent also has a strong track record in the settlement of claims that have been referred to the Lands Chamber of the Upper Tribunal.
In addition to acting for promotors, we also represent landowners and occupiers facing compulsory acquisition. We are able to advise on strategies that mitigate the effects of acquisition powers, formulate robust claims for compensation and negotiate favourable settlements.
Key Accountabilities & Job Overview:
We are looking for a MRICS qualified Surveyor 1-2 years PQE (ideally qualified under the rural pathway), or somebody with an accredited degree and currently working towards their APC to work within our Compensation Directorate. The role will be to support the provision of CPO advice to clients working on a complex portfolio of projects. The role will involve some travel and working from client’s offices; attending client meetings; drafting acquisition strategies; preparing property cost estimates; undertaking site visits; consulting affected parties; meeting with landowners and stakeholders; negotiating the acquisition of land and rights; negotiating and settling compensation claims; supporting expert witnesses at examination and Tribunal and securing land entry.
We are looking for someone who is driven and confident and who has an emphasis on delivering quality with an attention to detail.
- To provide a wide range of professional CPO surveying property services for the promotion and delivery of infrastructure projects.
- To play an active role in the delivery of projects with guidance from the appropriate Line Manager.
- To provide guidance and advice to clients in a technical capacity, within limits of knowledge and experience, deferring to more senior colleagues where appropriate.
- To manage the financial aspect of projects reporting to the appropriate Director with regards to project completion and invoicing.
- Contribute to Team Meetings, reporting to Line Manager and Project Managers on resource requirements for projects and any day-to-day project or company issues.
- Contribute to business development for the company by inputting into tenders, representing the company at functions and creating relationships with clients and other disciplines through project work.
- Develop professional and commercial awareness and keeping abreast of work-related and industry updates.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills Required:
- Must be a competent valuer/have previous experience of doing valuations and be able to talk confidently about the process whilst demonstrating previous experience.
- Experience/training in rural surveying matters.
- Must either be MRICS qualified, or be working towards completing your APC (Ardent will support you in completing your APC
- CAAV membership or qualification. However this is not essential.
- Good Interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to a variety of audiences from clients to claimant.
- Self-motivated and proactive, able to manage time efficiently working as part of a team or in isolation and meet deadline.
- Good commercial acumen.
- Willingness to accept responsibility and develop new skills.
- Good working knowledge of IT.
- Will ideally have some Compensation/CPO knowledge and experience of CPOs/DCOs/TWAOs. However, this is not essential.
- An understanding of Compulsory Purchase Legislation & Compensation Code.
At Ardent our vision statement is:
“To improve quality of life and create a sustainable future, through the regeneration and growth of Infrastructure projects. We see investing in, developing and empowering our people as key to achieving our vision. Our beliefs are demonstrated via day to day living of our guiding principles, being respectful with a positive attitude and exceeding expectations & being the best you can be, which we strongly believe to be intrinsically linked to our future success”.
With people at the core of our business, we offer employees an unrivalled career opportunity rather than simply a job. In a fast growing organisation, we train, develop and support our staff to grow and achieve their career goals. This is supported by a number of initiatives to look after the wellbeing of our employees whilst allowing employees to work flexibility and maintain a positive work life balance.
For more information, please see our services page on our website at www.ardent-management.com
Ardent is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy and maternity.
Should you be interested in hearing more about the position or wish to send your cv in, please contact Tess Haste or Kate Ramscar on Tessahaste@ardent-management.com or KateRamscar@ardent-management.com