The CAAV is governed by its Council which meets three times a year. The members of Council are:
- the Presidential Team including the Immediate Past President
- representatives from all 29 Local Associations
- the Chairmen of the main Committees
- the five preceding past Presidents
- co-options, including the Chairmen of the main Committees (unless otherwise on Council) and a representative for the Universities providing most entrants to the profession.
Meetings are serviced and attended by the Secretariat. All the main CAAV Committees report to each meeting of Council.
The Executive Committee is the management committee of the Association.
The Education and Examinations Committee is responsible for the examinations system and education.
The main technical committees are:
- Valuation, Taxation and Compensation, covering those subjects
- Property, covering issues including land transactions, agricultural, residential and commercial tenancies (mainly for England), other farming arrangements, development control, disputes resolution and renewable energy
- Farming and Environment covering agricultural support policy and resources issues for England
- Wales Committee dealing with Welsh matters and devolved responsibilities
- Scotland Committee dealing with Scottish matters and devolved responsibilities
- Northern Ireland Committee dealing with Northern Irish matters and devolved responsibilities
The Committee Structure is shown below (click to enlarge or view pdf)